Custom Machine Quilting: Susan’s Christmas Quilts

My sweet friend Susan made three darling pieces for Christmas and told me I could quilt them however I wanted. I was so excited to try some new things! (I went a little crazy.)

First, this really fun table runner.     Susan thought it would be fun to have a giant swirl in the middle of the ornaments, so that is what I did. Then, in the remaining background space, I echo quilted around the ornaments. That echo quilting is harder than I thought! By the end I had gotten the hang of it, but let just say at the beginning there were a few lines that got unpicked. :) I did a loose weave-type pattern in the borders, which was a lot of fun.

Second, this long wall hanging.        I outlined each of the panel prints, and did some loop-de-loops in the frames and swirls in the borders. I even tried my hand at micro-stippling, which is much harder than it looks, and also takes a lot of muscle control.

Finally, the one I went crazy on. This wall hanging was so cute, and had so many different places to have fun with! I did a different design in each of the panel backgrounds, and then some fun swag borders around each of the panels. Some figure eights in the borders, and voila! The back looks pretty cool, too. Looking at it now, I wonder if I should have dome something to the actual images in the panels, but at the time I wasn’t sure what to do. What do you think?

Comments

Stephanie says:

I think you did an amazing job!

Laurie says:

I think your quilting is amazing – just the way it is!! BEAUTIFUL- wouldn’t change a thing!

WOW! They turned out amazing!

*LyndiLou* says:

Wow… you’re getting the hang of this alright! ;) I love that the way you quilt it the back looks pretty too! Great job!

Launi says:

Oh, my. Honey you have done an amazing job. Simply beautiful. :}

Amy L. says:

Oh man! Those are AMAZING!!! I love that you showed the back of the last one so you can get a really good look at all of the detail! You just keep getting better and better!

Pinkying says:

Love this!! I went to a machine quilting class recently and the teacher made the point that these Christmas type panels are PERFECT to work with to get good practice, and as a plus, they make great Christmas gifts when you’re done!