Longarm quilting: Kathy’s Mother-in-Law Sampler Quilt

I got a chance a while back to custom quilt this sampler for my friend Kathy–who made this for her Mother-in-Law for Christmas (how nice is she?). I learned a TON while I was doing it, including that it is impossible to make good looking straight lines without a ruler. (Good thing Kathy is patient with me.)

I did something different in every block, and had a lot of fun with it. In the borders, I did feathers, wishbones, and stacked ovals. This was actually the first quilt I tried feathers on, too. About a billion pictures follow, including some fun shots of the back.

Hope you’re having a fun week! I’ve been fighting off a nasty head cold/bug. Not so fun.

How fun! You did a great job! Don’t you just love how the backs come out? And those are fantastic feathers for a first time — I’m impressed!

• 1.1
      April says:

Shelly! You’re sweet! I’m getting better on the feathers–I look at those now and cringe a little. ;) But I figure it’s valuable for people to see the progression, the learning process. It’s intimidating when all you ever see on blogs are picture perfect quilts. Thanks for your comment!

Karmen says:

April, I know you get tired of me saying this but your work is “eye candy” for me! I could look at it all day! I love the stitching (I’m not a quilter so forgive my incorrect terminology) and Kathy chose some great colors! Bucket List #117 – buy a Prairie Grass pattern, consult April on the colors, and make the quilt!

• 2.1
      April says:

Karmen–I’d love to help you with your first quilt! Talk to Kathy about coming to craft night at my house :) xoxo (And thanks for the sweet comments, it really makes my day!)

Lori Edwards says:

The quilting is beautiful and the quilt is too. I love the back as well.

• 3.1
      April says:

Thanks, Lori! I’m working on quilting one right now that’s really cute, as well. You might have seen it before! ;)

My MIL loves her quilt! It is on the back of her couch all the time. Unless she is using it! ;)

Sherri says:

Your quilting is gorgeous! Hope you feel better soon, too!

• 5.1
      April says:

Thanks Sherri! I’m thinking it was just a crazy bout with allergies. I don’t ever have them, but man, they packed a punch this time. Hopefully it was a one-season thing. ;)

Suzanne Lawrence says:

I do indeed love my quilt! – for many reasons. I appreciate the workmanship in the piecing and the quilting. The variety of the quilting designs is amazing. It is a great quilt and the quilting really enhances it. Thanks Kathy and April.

Bev says:

I saw your quilt you did for Sarah Jane…….CHILDREN AT PLAY collection, Love it !!! My question is do you ever make any for sale ????

• 7.1
      April says:

Wasn’t that a fun one? I don’t generally make quilts for sale–there’s just not enough hours in the day! I’ll tell you what, though: I happen to know the pattern is a great beginner applique pattern, and I’d be happy to machine quilt it for you when you get it done. :)

Carla says:

Such a gorgeous blog! Love your quilt for Nyah

rosa says:

OMG,this is absolutely wonderful,love,love !!My mouth is open.

Patti says:

Can I just say OH WOW!!! It’s amazing and you are some friend. Wish you were my friend – or we even lived in the same country so you could long arm for me. Love your designs too and will buy one soon.