Parcheesi: Quilting Pattern #116

Hey friends! I wanted to post today and spotlight Parcheesi, and tell you a little more about it. Plus, I wanted to post a little treat for you guys, as a YAY for being featured on Moda’s Cutting Table blog today. (Stick around till the end of the post for the code, wink, wink.)

So here’s the thing. I’m basically obsessed with little tiny squares. Nearly every time I design a pattern, I end up scaling the individual blocks larger so you guys don’t really really hate me.

But Parcheesi came around, and I just couldn’t bring myself to omit the 1″ squares in the center of each block. (They’re not that tiny, right?) They just remind me of neat and tiny little garden. No idea why.

Then, of course, there’s the scrappy sashing. I just adore it.

I quilted it with these giant, overlapping chrysanthemums. Seriously. Took. Forever. But I think the quilting plays nicely with all the little tiny squares. (<–they’re not that tiny.)

Originally, I was going to call it Tile Garden, but it just didn’t stick. My Mom suggested Parcheesi, and I had to look it up, because I’ve never actually played.

She insisted it reminded her of an ornate Parcheesi board, and well, I really like cheese, so there you go. :)

The fabric I used in this quilt is Flora by Lauren + Jessi Jung for Moda. Not sure it’s out there much anymore, but this quilt would be GORGEOUS in their new line, Birds and Berries. SERIOUSLY, have you seen that purple? (You can find it here, here, here, here, and here.)

So, even though there are just a few (cough, cough) squares in this quilt, you should make it. Because the individual elements are each rather simple: straight lines, except for some flying geese.

And heck, it packs quite a punch when all is said and done.  You might even end up obsessed with little tiny squares like me. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Through Friday night, Parcheesi is on sale for $6 in my shop! Plus, get 15% off your entire order with code CHEESI. Be sure to get your orders in quick–I’ll be out of town next week–so if I don’t see your order by Saturday morning, it’s not going to ship until NEXT Saturday the 15th. Or, just get the PDF version. :)

Have a great Wednesday!

PS I talk a bit about my current patterns, spill a few secrets about upcoming patterns and stuff on the blog, and answer some fun questions over at Moda’s Cutting Table today, go check it out!

Comments

Diana Nelson says:

Love the new pattern – I’m sure I’ll be ordering soon.

You are awesome! Love this quilt!

Malini says:

Absolutely love your pattern. Will have to wait and see if I love those tiny squares while piecing ;).

• 3.1
      Malini says:

I’m trying to purchase your Big City quilt pattern but the web pages seems to be stuck at checkout. Haven’t had luck since morning.

Any thoughts on what’s happening?

Robin says:

Block of the month, you say…..

SoozeM says:

I love this quilt, just bought the pattern and can’t wait to make it! I love Summer Crush as well, that might be my next project.

Staci says:

Oh my, how much do I love this? Well, quite a lot! The not so tiny squares are darling. And after making 1 inch hst’s for my farmers wife sampler, inch squares are a biggie any more!

Staci says:

Oh oh oh! Block of the MONTH!!!!???!!
    I’ll be THERE!!

*LyndiLou* says:

I love the colors in this! It’s so fun! :D

[…] spent the entire day cutting my stash of Flora by Lauren & Jessi Jung for Moda to make a Parcheesie quilt, pattern by April of Prairie Grass Patterns. This pattern involves a lot of cutting and […]

[…] Although it seemed like forever, I really enjoyed putting these blocks together, the seams nested beautifully and I couldn’t be happier with the results. The next step is to create the scrappy sashing which will be 2″ x 2″ blocks sewn together using 2 1/2″ strips, there are also two borders on this quilt. I’ve ordered the fabric to finish this quilt so there won’t be any delays. I still haven’t received the backing fabric for my Fleurs Bleu quilt which I ordered awhile ago. You can see April’s original Parcheesie quilt here. […]

[…] also has a blog post about the pattern (which I think is totally hilarious and definitely worth reading) sharing a […]